The Association des amis des bateaux à vapeur du Léman (ABVL) is a non-profit association which endeavours to secure funding to conserve the eight Belle Epoque boats of the Compagnie Générale de Navigation (CGN) – Montreux, Vevey, Italie, La Suisse, Savoie, Simplon, Helvétie and Rhône – and keep them in regular service. It is registered on the Canton of Vaud trade register;
Founded in June 2002 by true enthusiasts keen to ensure the survival of this fleet which had suddenly found itself in danger for financial reasons, it now boasts some 20,000 sponsors and 3,300 active members.
Thanks to the donations collected by the ABVL, seven of the eight Belle Epoque boats of the CGN have been partially or fully renovated.
To date, the ABVL has collected donations totalling more than CHF 35 million. The funds provided by the ABVL since its creation in 2002 represent approximately 35% of the total amount invested in renovating the fleet.
Structure of the association
The organs of the ABVL are the general meeting, the committee and the auditors.
The general meeting is the highest body of the ABVL. It meets once a year.
Articles of association
You can consult these by clicking on: ABVL – articles of association (in french)
President’s report, accounts and minutes of the last general meetings
- Maurice Decoppet, President
- Yves de Siebenthal, Vice President
- François Bosshard, Secretary
- Thomas Beck, Treasurer
- Luc-Antoine Baehni, former CEO of the CGN, member
- Sébastien Buet, Hotelier in Evian (F), member
- Yves de Gunten, member
- Carole Hosp, Head of Sales and Private Cruises at the CGN, member
- Antoine Jaquenoud, Assistant Project Manager, member
- Jean-François Kung, Mayor of Yvoire (F), member
- Jean Jacques Schwaab, Lawyer, member
- Evelyne Chevallaz Belotti, Communication & Administration Officer
- Christine Biolley, Accounting Officer & Administrative Assistant
The Pro Vapore Foundation
In 2006, the ABVL created a foundation based in Geneva with the same statutory purpose as its own, to which it entrusts the funds collected.
Pro Vapore is registered on the Canton of Geneva trade register and operates under the auspices of the Foundations Supervisory Service. It is exempt from taxes.
Its committee comprises:
- President: Yves de Siebenthal, Vice President of the ABVL
- Vice President: Maurice Decoppet, President of the ABVL
- Ernest Cardis, La Tour-de-Peilz
- Hugues Martin, Prangins
- Stéphane Masson, Ecublens
Working in close cooperation with its sponsors, the CGN and the ABVL, the foundation handles questions relating to the management and provision of the funds collected.